Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Added orzo pasta to the recipe to make this a heartier main course.
Make and share this Shrimp With Tomato and Feta (Garides Me Domata Kai Feta) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb feta, patted dry and crumbled (about 3 cups)
- Put rack in middle of oven and preheat to 425ºF.
- Spray or oil a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in 4 quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat.
- Add onon, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and saute until onion is soft, about 3 minutes (stir constantly).
- Add wine, bring to a boil and reduce by half, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer briskly until sauce is slightly thickened (stir frequently), about 8 minutes.
- Stir shrimp into sauce and simmer, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Cook orzo pasta in 6 - 8 qts. boiling water with 1 tablespoon salt until al dente (see package directions).
- Thoroughly drain orzo, reserving 1/2 cup of the water.
- Return orzo to pot and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Stir sauce and reserved cooking water into orzo.
- Add olives and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon half pasta into oiled baking dish and sprinkle with half of feta.
- Top with remaining pasta and feta.
- Bake, uncovered until cheese is slightly melted, 10 - 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.