Galley Wench's Note:
Added orzo pasta to the recipe to make this a heartier main course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb feta, patted dry and crumbled (about 3 cups)
- 1Put rack in middle of oven and preheat to 425ºF.
- 2Spray or oil a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- 3Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in 4 quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat.
- 4Add onon, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and saute until onion is soft, about 3 minutes (stir constantly).
- 5Add wine, bring to a boil and reduce by half, about 3 minutes.
- 6Stir in tomatoes and salt and bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer briskly until sauce is slightly thickened (stir frequently), about 8 minutes.
- 8Stir shrimp into sauce and simmer, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- 10Cook orzo pasta in 6 - 8 qts. boiling water with 1 tablespoon salt until al dente (see package directions).
- 11Thoroughly drain orzo, reserving 1/2 cup of the water.
- 12Return orzo to pot and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 13Stir sauce and reserved cooking water into orzo.
- 14Add olives and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 15Spoon half pasta into oiled baking dish and sprinkle with half of feta.
- 16Top with remaining pasta and feta.
- 17Bake, uncovered until cheese is slightly melted, 10 - 15 minutes.
- 18Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp With Tomato and Feta (Garides Me Domata Kai Feta)
Serving Size: 1 (453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 723.7
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 240.0 mg
- Sodium 1677.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 46.3 g