Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good side dishes would be sautéed spinach and rice pilaf.
Make and share this Shrimp With Tomato and Feta (Garides Me Domata Kai Feta) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth (or dry white wine)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, then add the garlic and cook about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Remove from heat, add the Ouzo and Vermouth, then return to heat and stir, allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
- After liquid has evaporated, add the parsley, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar.
- Simmer the sauce, uncovered, over medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp to the sauce and cover the pan. Cook shrimp until they turn pink and opaque white, about 5-10 minutes. (Since these cook quickly, be sure to have your side dishes ready before you add the shrimp.).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, keeping in mind that the Feta can often be salty.
- Add the Feta either in the pan if you want it to melt a bit, or add to the plates as garnish.