Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This makes a wonderful dip and eggless mayonnaise substitute from Greece that can be used on cooked meats, combined with leftover chicken to make chicken salad and vegetables. Source of recipe: Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything
- 1 thick slice day-old bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups stock or 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin oil, plus more if needed
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup hazelnuts or 1 cup pine nuts or 1 cup blanched almond
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (or too taste. Chile, if using, should not be too hot) or 1 teaspoon ground dried chile (or too taste. Chile, if using, should not be too hot)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed (or to taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Put bread in a bowl and saturate it with some of the liquid.
- Squeeze bread to drain off excess, then put in food processor with oil, nuts, garlic and cayenne.
- Process mixture until nuts are ground, then, with machine running, pour in enough of remaining liquid and more olive oil to form a creamy sauce.
- Add lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.