1 hr 15 mins
Lovely, delicately seasoned meatballs in a tomato sauce done in the style of the Greeks from Smyrna. This is a warming, hearty dish, great year round, but especially in winter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices thick dense bread (crusts removed)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 lb ground lean meat (beef or veal)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated kefalograviera cheese (parmesan makes an excellent substitute) or 2 tablespoons mizithra cheese (parmesan makes an excellent substitute)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Soak the bread in the wine for about 5 minutes, or until thoroughly softened.
- 2Then, squeeze out and reserve the excess wine.
- 3In a large bowl, combine the ground meat with the wine soaked bread, onion, garlic, egg, parsley, grated cheese, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Mix the ingredients until thoroughly blended.
- 5Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- 6Dampen your hands, pinch off small portions of meat mixture, about the quantity of a teaspoon or just over, and shape into approximately 20 oval rolls (looks sort of like an elongated, slightly flattened, meatball).
- 7Dredge them in flour.
- 8Heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
- 9Add the meatballs and fry until browned all over, turning occasionally and allowing time for the meat to cook thoroughly. (alternatively, if you want a 'lighter' recipe, you could just brown in a non-stick pan or bake them in the oven - not as flavourful, but still good).
- 10Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 11Strain the oil you fried the meatballs in through a fine sieve into a cooking pan.
- 12Add all the sauce ingredients, and the reserved wine.
- 13Bring to a boil and simmer until the sauce is thick.
- 14Drop in the meatballs, stir to cover all over with the sauce, and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- 15Serve hot with rice, french fries, or mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soutzoukakia (Greek Meatballs in a Tomato Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.0
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 290.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: