1/11 Photos of Souvlaki
This is the way I do souvlaki or shish kebab - and I mean the sandwich with pita bread you can find on nearly every street corner in Greece, not just the skewered meat. This is the best! Prep time does not include marinating time. OAMC instructions provided.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Meat and Marinade
- 1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut up into 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch cubes (or the meat of your choice)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (not traditional, but I like the flavour it adds)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (I use a whole dried one, crumbled)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1To marinate meat: Cut tenderloin into bite-size chunks and put into a Tupperware with remaining marinade ingredients.
- 2Swish everything around to distribute, put in fridge and forget for a day (this long marination is not absolutely necessary- but longer means more flavour. If you haven't the time, just do what you can).
- 3When ready to BBQ, skewer meat onto metal or wooden skewers (remember to soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 1/2 an hour first) and bbq until the meat is nicely brown all over, and you know you can't possibly wait any longer to eat.
- 4To prepare the fixings: As you are barbecuing the meat, brush as many pita breads as there are souvlaki generously with olive oil and put on the bbq to crisp slightly or alternatively, into a hot frying pan, and cook about 30-45 seconds per side or until starting to brown and give off a yummy,'toasty' smell.
- 5Here is the 'technique' part.
- 6Have cut some squares of foil a bit larger than the pita breads.
- 7Put a square in the palm of your hand and lay a pita in the centre sitting in your flat palm.
- 8Take a skewer of meat and place in center of pita.
- 9Squeeze palm shut around meat to get a grip with the pita and pull out skewer, leaving meat inside the bread.
- 10Open up your palm slightly, making the pita gape open and throw in some onion, slices of tomato, a good dollop of tzatziki, some parsley, along with a healthy shake of salt.
- 11Roll sandwich up by squeezing palm again (gently this time as the salad stuff is inside) and enclosing neatly with the foil, giving a twist on the bottom so no yummy juices drip out onto your clothes as you are eating this!
- 12Enjoy our contribution to fast-food!
- 13You will never settle for a Big Mac again!
- 14To freeze: Place meat and marinade in a freezer bag or rigid freezer container.
- 15To serve: Thaw in fridge overnight and proceed with cooking directions.
Nutritional Facts for Souvlaki
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 811.7
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 110.6 mg
- Sodium 824.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 47.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: