This recipe is Greek in origin and was originally posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. And inspired by Summerwine's fabulous photograph, I've finally got round to making it! I must admit that when posting I didn't realise just how much spinach this recipe uses; we're talking serious Popeye territory. I found I hadn't bought enough spinach and had to supplement fresh with frozen. But it worked fine. Summerwine's comment below about salt is absolutely spot on. I made this without salt and have updated the recipe to delete this ingredient. The recipe was 'borrowed' from Recipes4us.co.uk.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, gas mark 4 and grease a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Heat half the butter in a large frying pan and sauté half the spinach for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly; drain in a colander, and press down with the back of a spoon so that most of the liquid is forced out; set aside and repeat with the remaining butter and spinach.
- Place the drained spinach in a large mixing bowl together with the chopped dill, and Feta cheese.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs, flour and pepper; then add to the spinach mix well.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly in the greased dish and cover with the slices of Gruyere cheese; bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and the spinach mixture has set; serve hot.