Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love this recipe for spanakopita. The cream cheese makes it extra creamy. I have only made the full-fat version, so far. I am planning on using all low-fat or fat-free cheese the next time I make it. I don't know if there would be a taste difference or not. I am also planning on layering it in a pie next time too for an entree rather than an appetizer. These can be made ahead of time and either frozen or refrigerated. Reheat in oven.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dill, minced or 4 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated, if fresh or 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 40 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients, except for fillo and butter, in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Layer 4 sheets of fillo dough, brushing EACH ONE with butter. Cut into 8 strips, the cuts should be perpendicular to the long edges.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of filling on each strip, about 1-inch from the bottom. Fold corner of fillo to form a triangle. Continue folding triangle onto itself. Brush outside with butter.
- Place triangles, seam down, on cookie sheet or in baking dish about 1-inch apart.
- Repeat steps 3-5 until all the filling is used.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
We added a little dried mint and some lemon pepper seasoning instead of the salt & pepper. Put a little minced garlic in too. We didn't use the food processor. Just mixed it up by hand. We also used butter flavored cooking spray instead of the melted butter to cut down on the calories. They were really yummy!