Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love this recipe for spanakopita. The cream cheese makes it extra creamy. I have only made the full-fat version, so far. I am planning on using all low-fat or fat-free cheese the next time I make it. I don't know if there would be a taste difference or not. I am also planning on layering it in a pie next time too for an entree rather than an appetizer. These can be made ahead of time and either frozen or refrigerated. Reheat in oven.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dill, minced or 4 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated, if fresh or 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 40 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients, except for fillo and butter, in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Layer 4 sheets of fillo dough, brushing EACH ONE with butter. Cut into 8 strips, the cuts should be perpendicular to the long edges.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of filling on each strip, about 1-inch from the bottom. Fold corner of fillo to form a triangle. Continue folding triangle onto itself. Brush outside with butter.
- Place triangles, seam down, on cookie sheet or in baking dish about 1-inch apart.
- Repeat steps 3-5 until all the filling is used.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.