1/2 Photos of Spanakopita
Common all over Greece, stuffed phyllo pastries make a memorable meze, or appetizer. These small triangles are stuffed with feta and spinach. You might also see them stuffed with feta and herbs, or with lamb and spices and rolled into cigar shapes or tied like knots. Serve these pastries with a glass of ouzo over ice. Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Lifestyles Series, Small Plates, by
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs spinach, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated kefalotyri or 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 lb phyllo dough, thawed if frozen (20 sheets)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1Heat a large fry pan over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the spinach with only the rinsing water clinging to the leaves, cover and cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
- 3Drain well on paper towels, then squeeze out as much of the remaining liquid as possible.
- 4Place in a large bowl and add the feta cheese, kefalotiri cheese, eggs, mint, and nutmeg.
- 5Stir well to combine.
- 6Season with salt and pepper.
- 7Preheat an oven to 375°F.
- 8Lightly butter a baking sheet.
- 9Cut the stack of phyllo sheets lengthwise into 3 equal strips.
- 10Remove 1 strip and cover the remaining phyllo with a slightly dampened kitchen towel to prevent it from drying out.
- 11Place the strip on a work surface and brush lightly with melted butter.
- 12Place another strip on top.
- 13Brush the second strip lightly with melted butter.
- 14Place a heaping teaspoonful of the filling about 1 inch in from the bottom of the strip.
- 15Fold the uncovered end over the filling on the diagonal to form a triangular shape.
- 16Bring the bottom of the triangle up against the straight edge.
- 17Continue folding in this manner until the tip of the strip is reached, forming a triangular pastry.
- 18Brush lightly with melted butter.
- 19Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- 20Repeat with the remaining phyllo and filling.
- 21Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- 22Remove from the oven and transfer to a platter.
- 23Serve immediately, warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanakopita
Serving Size: 1 (1460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 84.9
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 43.0 mg
- Sodium 148.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: