1/2 Photos of Spanakopita (Greek Greens Pie )
1 hr 15 mins
Not entirely authentic - but very good. A combination of mustard greens and spinach is delicious. Layering the phyllo dough isn't difficult once you get into it. IMPORTANT: As you work, keep the phyllo pkg covered with a damp towel so it won't dry out.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups coarse diced onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons seedless raisins
- 1Cook spinach til tender; drain, lightly squeeze out excess water and place in med bowl. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice and rind to spinach; mix well. Set aside.
- 2Saute onions with spices in 2 tbsp olive oil until onions are transparent. Stir in rice, water and raisins; heat through. Set aside.
- 3In separate bowl, beat eggs lightly with pepper. Add feta cheese and mix well. Set aside.
- 4In a 9" oiled deep pie pan, lay one sheet of phyllo on the bottom of the pan and brush entire surface with melted butter. Top with 7 more sheets, one by one, brushing each and rotating each sheet 20 degrees. There will be over-hang.
- 5Over that, carefully layer the onion mixture, then the spinach, then the cheese.
- 6Cover with a top 'crust' of phyllo by repeating same procedure as step 4: Eight sheets, each brushed with butter and rotated.
- 7Roll-up the overhanging dough to form a seal. Brush top with melted butter.
- 8Bake 350 degrees, for 1/2 hour. Lay a piece of foil over top and continue to bake for another 1/2 hour or until done.
- 9Allow to cool to room temperature before eating.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanakopita (Greek Greens Pie )
Serving Size: 1 (441 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 897.7
- Calories from Fat 492
- Total Fat 54.6 g
- Saturated Fat 30.4 g
- Cholesterol 218.1 mg
- Sodium 2118.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 29.0 g