1/1 Photo of Spanakopita (Greek Spinach and Feta Pie)
Abby Falck's Note:
You can make this recipe with fresh spinach or three boxes of frozen chopped spinach; fresh spinach will have a better flavor and texture, but it takes much longer to wash and stem. Baby spinach works very well and requires less work, if you don't mind paying the extra price.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2-2 lbs spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup dill, chopped
- 2 cups scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground sea salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 3 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 14 sheets phyllo pastry sheets
- 1/2 cup butter, melted or 1/2 cup cooking spray
- 1Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- 2(For fresh spinach) Working in batches, wash and drain the spinach. Discard any large stems and chop the leaves coarsely. Combine the spinach, parsley, dill, green onions and salt. Let stand in a colander for 15 minutes and then press out the liquid. (For frozen spinach) Thaw the spinach and squeeze out most of the water, leaving just a little to prevent it drying out in the oven. Combine with the parsley, dill, green onions and salt.
- 3Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering, then add the onions and saute until transparent.
- 4Adjust the heat to medium, add the spinach mixture in batches and saute until the spinach and herbs are wilted.
- 5Turn off the heat and stir the feta and black pepper into the mixture.
- 6Butter a 10"x17"x2" baking pan and lay 8 filo sheets in the bottom, brushing each layer with butter or spraying it with oil.
- 7Spread the spinach mixture into the baking pan.
- 8Cover with the remaining filo sheets, brushing each layer with butter or spraying it with oil.
- 9Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanakopita (Greek Spinach and Feta Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.7
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 55.8 mg
- Sodium 1092.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 10.2 g