1/6 Photos of Spanakopita Meatballs With Greek Yogurt Sauce
My twist on a Rachel Ray recipe. If you can't find Greek yogurt, you could use a combination of sour cream and mayo. Fresh mint is a nice variation to the sauce. This recipe originally called for ground chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped, divided
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach (defrost and squeeze out moisture)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning (recommended ( McCormick Montreal Seasoning)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1/3 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill or 3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- salt, to taste
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2In a bowl combine 3 cloves of garlic and all of red onion EXCEPT 2 tablespoons, reserve 1 garlic clove and onion for yogurt sauce.
- 3Squeeze the water out of the spinach until completely dry. Separate the spinach as you add it to garlic and onion.
- 4Add feta, egg, breadcrumbs, ground beef, lamb and grill seasoning to the bowl. Mix and combine well.
- 5Form mixture into 1 1/2-inch, bite-sized meatballs. Place the meatballs on a nonstick cookie sheet. ***At this point you could refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 6Bake meatballs at 375 degrees for 20 minutes until they are cooked through.
- 7To make the sauce, place yogurt, 1 garlic clove, 2 Tablespoons onion, cucumber, dill, lemon juice, oregano and a little salt in food processor and process until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve meatballs alongside sauce with toothpicks.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanakopita Meatballs With Greek Yogurt Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.6
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 151.6 mg
- Sodium 562.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 28.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: