Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Portabella mushrooms give this traditional Greek dish a special touch.
Make and share this Spanakopita Roll recipe from Food.com.
- When working with phyllo pastry it is important to keep it covered with a damp towel, so that it doesn't dry out.
- That being said, we can begin.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Line a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare filling:.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large sauté pan.
- Sauté garlic, onion and mushrooms over medium heat until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add spinach and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sauté spinach mixture for 2-3 minutes, and then add dill and stir to combine.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a mixing bowl, and add lemon juice, feta and eggs.
- Mix well.
- Make spanakopita roll:.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo pastry on parchment paper lined cookie sheet, and brush with butter.
- Repeat with each remaining sheet.
- Place filling in a log shape near one edge of the pastry, and fold sides over (like what you would do for egg rolls or burritos).
- Roll up the spanakopita roll, making sure the seam is at the bottom.
- Bake spanakopita roll 45 minutes to an hour, or until golden.
This has to be a winner! The instructions are excellent and easy to follow, the cooked roll looks great and it tastes as good as it looks (the addition of dill is inspired). If you have any left over, spanakopita roll is also lovely served cold. This way the flavours get extra time to develop. You can also slice the roll much thinner when cold, making it a great addition to the picnic basket. A recipe to keep and repeat.
This was a very nice and good recipe. Good job!