Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Several varieties of cheese, herbs and seasonings baked in a flaky phyllo dough creates a delicious Mediterranean dish! I also add in some grated Parmesan cheese, but that is optional. For this recipe creamed cottage cheese can be used in place of the ricotta, but the ricotta is better. You will need a deep-dish 10-inch pie plate for this.
- 3 (10 ounce) bags fresh spinach, chopped (remove the long stems)
- 3 tablespoons butter (or use olive oil)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese (I use the full-fat ricotta cheese)
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and black pepper (I use seasoned salt in place of the white salt)
- 8 ounces phyllo dough, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter (you might need a bit more)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter the inside of the pie plate.
- heat 3 tablespoons of butter or olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add in the onion, green onion and garlic and saute for about 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add/stir in the chopped spinach and parsley; continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the spinach is limp; remove from heat and cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until well blended.
- Add in ricotta cheese and feta, then add to the spinach mixture; mix to combine with a wooden spoon.
- Season the mixture with salt and black pepper (at this point I add in about 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, but that is optional).
- Layer 4 sheets of thawed phyllo dough into prepared pie plate, brushing each layer with melted butter or oil (to prevent drying out, follow the instructions on the phyllo dough package).
- Pour the spinach mixture on top of the dough.
- Repeat the layers of phyllo dough.
- Tuck the overhanging dough into the pie plate and crimp edges.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes.