Leslie in Texas's Note:
Another recipe I clipped from a magazine that featured a Greek Gourmet Dinner Party menu and recipes. I've had this for years, since I first served this in 1981! Instead of the more familiar triangular pastries, these are rolled up jelly-roll fashion to make them easier to serve as finger food. These can be made ahead and frozen until needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach, rinsed, well drained and chopped or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup dried unflavored breadcrumbs
- 1In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter; add onion and cook 5 minutes.
- 2Add spinach and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes or until moisture has evaporated.
- 3Remove from heat; stir in cheeses, egg, and seasonings; set aside.
- 4Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 5Melt remaining butter.
- 6Place one phyllo sheet lengthwise on waxed paper.
- 7Brush phyllo lightly with butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs.
- 8Place another phyllo sheet on top, brush with butter and sprinkle again with crumbs.
- 9Spread half the filling ( about 3/4 cup)along lengthwise edge of phyllo.
- 10With both hands lift waxed paper and roll from lengthwise edge, jelly-roll fashion.
- 11Place seam-side down onto a cookie sheet;press each end to seal.
- 12Brush top with butter and cut gashes in top of roll at 1 inch intervals.
- 13Make second roll with remaining ingredients.
- 14Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 15* Can be made ahead up to this point. Cool, wrap in plastic wrap, then in foil and freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, unwrap and heat in 400°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes).
- 16While warm cut into 1 inch slices, using gashes as a guide.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanakopita ( Spinach Cheese Phyllo)
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 174.0
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 58.5 mg
- Sodium 276.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 5.0 g