Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe I clipped from a magazine that featured a Greek Gourmet Dinner Party menu and recipes. I've had this for years, since I first served this in 1981! Instead of the more familiar triangular pastries, these are rolled up jelly-roll fashion to make them easier to serve as finger food. These can be made ahead and frozen until needed.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach, rinsed, well drained and chopped or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄4 cup dried unflavored breadcrumbs
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter; add onion and cook 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes or until moisture has evaporated.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheeses, egg, and seasonings; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt remaining butter.
- Place one phyllo sheet lengthwise on waxed paper.
- Brush phyllo lightly with butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs.
- Place another phyllo sheet on top, brush with butter and sprinkle again with crumbs.
- Spread half the filling ( about 3/4 cup)along lengthwise edge of phyllo.
- With both hands lift waxed paper and roll from lengthwise edge, jelly-roll fashion.
- Place seam-side down onto a cookie sheet;press each end to seal.
- Brush top with butter and cut gashes in top of roll at 1 inch intervals.
- Make second roll with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- * Can be made ahead up to this point. Cool, wrap in plastic wrap, then in foil and freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, unwrap and heat in 400°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes).
- While warm cut into 1 inch slices, using gashes as a guide.