Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In Greece spanakorizo is served as a main dish with crusty bread. Please do not omit the fresh lemon juice and feta it is what makes this dish special, I use freshly grated Parmesan cheese sometimes in place of feta. Two 10-ounce boxes frozen spinach, thawed can be used in place of fresh. You can double the complete recipe but do not double the olive oil, butter and garlic amounts. If you are not a dill-lover then reduce amount.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (or use all olive oil)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 lbs fresh spinach (rinsed and stems removed)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water (or use 1 cup each chicken broth and water)
- 2 -4 teaspoons fresh dill (or use 1 teaspoon dried dill)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain white rice
- fresh lemon juice
- crumbled feta cheese
- hard-boiled egg (peeled and sliced) (optional)
- Heat oil with butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add in onions and garlic and saute for about 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add in fresh spinach and cook stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add in tomato sauce and water (or water and broth) bring to a boil, then season with salt, pepper and dill.
- Add in rice, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until rice is tender (adding in a little more water if needed).
- Drizzle with fresh lemon juice, then sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Garnish with hard-boiled eggs and lemon wedges.
I'm an occasional cook and this was wonderfully easy to make. I included sliced chicken breast which worked very nicely.