Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Posted for ZWT#6 2010
Make and share this Spanakotiropita (Spinach and Cheese Pie) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 kg spinach
- 3 -4 tablespoons chopped fresh fennel
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 300 gr. white feta cheese
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 500 gr. fyllo pastry dough (The fyllo pastry is widely available ready-made)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 110 gr. melted butter
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Clean and rinse the spinach, drain well, squeezing it gently by hand.
- Sautee the onion in the olive oil.
- Shred the spinach roughly and add it to the onion.
- Stir over medium heat to get it all coated in the olive oil. Do not add any water. Cover and cook gently for 5-6 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, parsley and fennel and keep aside to cool down a little.
- Crumble the feta cheese into the beaten eggs.
- If the spinach mixture when cooled has produced a lot of liquid, drain it.
- before adding to the cheese and egg mixture.Season and mix well.
- Do not add any more salt as feta is quite salty.
- Unfold the roll of pastry onto a flat surface, place the container (it should be a metal oven dish with approximate size 39x28x8 cm) you are going.
- to use on top of this and measure it roughly.
- Keep in mind that fyllo shrinks once cooked so be generous with cutting away with a knife the leftover strip, if there is one.
- Oil the base and the side of the container with melted butter.
- Coat the uppermost sheet of pastry and spread it carefully on the bottom of.
- the container trying to avoid creasing. Oil the next sheet of pastry and spread it on the top of the previous.
- Place in the same fashion 8 layers fyllo on the bottom of the container and spread on the filling. Cover the filling with 8 layers of oiled fyllo without pressing it down.
- Oil the top layer well and cut only the top layers into diamond or square.
- shapes with a small sharp knife.
- Be careful not to cut the bottom layers of pastry.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 190 grades C for 40 minutes until the pastry.
- puffs up and the top becomes golden and crisp.
- When cooked, let it stand for 10 minutes and then cut the pre-shaped pieces.
- all the way down to the bottom of the tin, take them out and place them on.
- a flat platter.