1 hr 20 mins
Tea Jenny's Note:
Posted for ZWT#6 2010
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg spinach
- 3 -4 tablespoons chopped fresh fennel
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 300 gr. white feta cheese
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 500 gr. fyllo pastry dough (The fyllo pastry is widely available ready-made)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 110 gr. melted butter
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1Clean and rinse the spinach, drain well, squeezing it gently by hand.
- 2Sautee the onion in the olive oil.
- 3Shred the spinach roughly and add it to the onion.
- 4Stir over medium heat to get it all coated in the olive oil. Do not add any water. Cover and cook gently for 5-6 minutes.
- 5Add salt, pepper, parsley and fennel and keep aside to cool down a little.
- 6Crumble the feta cheese into the beaten eggs.
- 7If the spinach mixture when cooled has produced a lot of liquid, drain it.
- 8before adding to the cheese and egg mixture.Season and mix well.
- 9Do not add any more salt as feta is quite salty.
- 10Unfold the roll of pastry onto a flat surface, place the container (it should be a metal oven dish with approximate size 39x28x8 cm) you are going.
- 11to use on top of this and measure it roughly.
- 12Keep in mind that fyllo shrinks once cooked so be generous with cutting away with a knife the leftover strip, if there is one.
- 13Oil the base and the side of the container with melted butter.
- 14Coat the uppermost sheet of pastry and spread it carefully on the bottom of.
- 15the container trying to avoid creasing. Oil the next sheet of pastry and spread it on the top of the previous.
- 16Place in the same fashion 8 layers fyllo on the bottom of the container and spread on the filling. Cover the filling with 8 layers of oiled fyllo without pressing it down.
- 17Oil the top layer well and cut only the top layers into diamond or square.
- 18shapes with a small sharp knife.
- 19Be careful not to cut the bottom layers of pastry.
- 20Cook in a preheated oven at 190 grades C for 40 minutes until the pastry.
- 21puffs up and the top becomes golden and crisp.
- 22When cooked, let it stand for 10 minutes and then cut the pre-shaped pieces.
- 23all the way down to the bottom of the tin, take them out and place them on.
- 24a flat platter.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanakotiropita (Spinach and Cheese Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (9838 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 45593.2
- Calories from Fat 26954
- Total Fat 2994.9 g
- Saturated Fat 745.6 g
- Cholesterol 63.4 mg
- Sodium 46856.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4108.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 332.3 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 557.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: