Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
simple and elegant, this is much less prep work then normal spanikopita and lets the flavors shine.
Make and share this Spanikopita Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups spinach, chopped (one pkg frozen, thawed and drained)
- 1 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- chop onions and mince garlic. saute in 1 Tbs olive oil until soft.
- add drained spinach, spices, and lemon juice and cook until liquid absorbs but spinach is not brown. remove from heat.
- let cool for 10 min, add crumbled feta and taste. adjust seasonings if needed.
- stir eggs into spinach mix, preheat oven to 350f, grease pie plate.
- phyllo sheets here are big so i fold them in half. lay one doubled sheet in pan, drizzle, spray, or brush with oil, lay another sheet cross-ways, add more oil and lay two more sheets, diagonal to the first cross, with oil in between. press down to form the bottom crust.
- add spinach/feta filling and fold all the edges inches.
- add four more layers of doubled phyllo with oil in between, staggered like the bottom layer. tuck the edges in and under to encase filling. brush with the last of the oil.
- bake at 350f for 25-30 min or until golden brown.
- serve topped with tatziki with a nice salad and bread on the side.
My parents liked it but I found the flavour of the spinach filling overpowering. If I make it again, I'll decrease the amount of lemon juice.