simple and elegant, this is much less prep work then normal spanikopita and lets the flavors shine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups spinach, chopped (one pkg frozen, thawed and drained)
- 1 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1chop onions and mince garlic. saute in 1 Tbs olive oil until soft.
- 2add drained spinach, spices, and lemon juice and cook until liquid absorbs but spinach is not brown. remove from heat.
- 3let cool for 10 min, add crumbled feta and taste. adjust seasonings if needed.
- 4stir eggs into spinach mix, preheat oven to 350f, grease pie plate.
- 5phyllo sheets here are big so i fold them in half. lay one doubled sheet in pan, drizzle, spray, or brush with oil, lay another sheet cross-ways, add more oil and lay two more sheets, diagonal to the first cross, with oil in between. press down to form the bottom crust.
- 6add spinach/feta filling and fold all the edges inches.
- 7add four more layers of doubled phyllo with oil in between, staggered like the bottom layer. tuck the edges in and under to encase filling. brush with the last of the oil.
- 8bake at 350f for 25-30 min or until golden brown.
- 9serve topped with tatziki with a nice salad and bread on the side.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanikopita Pie
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.6
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 227.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat feta cheese