Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Extending the Table. Posted for ZWT4. This was one of my favorites at the Nav Jiwan International Tea Room in Akron, PA (at Ten Thousand Villages). I haven't tried it myself yet but wanted to post it for ZWT4.
- 6 cups fresh spinach, chopped (or 10oz. frozen spinach)
- 1 cup feta cheese (or shredded) or 1 cup gruyere cheese (or shredded) or 1 cup cheddar cheese, crumbled (or shredded)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or 2 tsp. dried parsley)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 12 phyllo pastry sheets, thawed (about one 8-oz. pkg. of frozen phyllo dough)
- Cook spinach in a little water until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Mix with cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, onion, parsley, dill, oregano, salt and nutmeg.
- Melt margarine or butter.
- Brush bottom of 12x7-inch shallow pan with melted margarine or butter. Reserve the rest for phyllo dough.
- Cut phyllo sheets in half.
- Gently separate and place one half-sheet in bottom of pan; fold edges over to fit in the bottom of pan.
- Brush lightly with melted margarine; repeat with 11 more half-sheets.
- Cover unused phyllo sheets with a damp towel so they don't dry out while you work.
- Spread spinach mixture over phyllo dough in pan.
- Place remaining 12 half-sheets of phyllo dough over spinach mixture spreading each with melted butter and folding in edges to fit pan.
- Leftover phyllo can be refrozen.
- Cover pan and bake 25 minutes at 350°F.
- Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more, until golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, cut into squares and serve.
- OPTION #1: Add1/2 Cup sliced or chopped mushrooms to spinach mixture.
- TIP: Dish can be made up to a day ahead and stored in refrigerator until it is time to bake it. If storing for more than one day, freeze; thaw and bake when you are ready to eat it.