1 hr 5 mins
From Extending the Table. Posted for ZWT4. This was one of my favorites at the Nav Jiwan International Tea Room in Akron, PA (at Ten Thousand Villages). I haven't tried it myself yet but wanted to post it for ZWT4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups fresh spinach, chopped (or 10oz. frozen spinach)
- 1 cup feta cheese (or shredded) or 1 cup gruyere cheese (or shredded) or 1 cup cheddar cheese, crumbled (or shredded)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or 2 tsp. dried parsley)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter
- 12 phyllo pastry sheets, thawed (about one 8-oz. pkg. of frozen phyllo dough)
- 1Cook spinach in a little water until tender, about 3 minutes.
- 3Mix with cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, onion, parsley, dill, oregano, salt and nutmeg.
- 4Melt margarine or butter.
- 5Brush bottom of 12x7-inch shallow pan with melted margarine or butter. Reserve the rest for phyllo dough.
- 6Cut phyllo sheets in half.
- 7Gently separate and place one half-sheet in bottom of pan; fold edges over to fit in the bottom of pan.
- 8Brush lightly with melted margarine; repeat with 11 more half-sheets.
- 9Cover unused phyllo sheets with a damp towel so they don't dry out while you work.
- 10Spread spinach mixture over phyllo dough in pan.
- 11Place remaining 12 half-sheets of phyllo dough over spinach mixture spreading each with melted butter and folding in edges to fit pan.
- 12Leftover phyllo can be refrozen.
- 13Cover pan and bake 25 minutes at 350°F.
- 14Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more, until golden brown.
- 15Let stand for 10 minutes, cut into squares and serve.
- 16OPTION #1: Add1/2 Cup sliced or chopped mushrooms to spinach mixture.
- 17TIP: Dish can be made up to a day ahead and stored in refrigerator until it is time to bake it. If storing for more than one day, freeze; thaw and bake when you are ready to eat it.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanokopita (Spinach Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 604.9
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 199.8 mg
- Sodium 1553.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 22.5 g