1/2 Photos of Spice Route Chicken
1 hr 10 mins
From Chef on a Shoestrings menu. This sounds like a winner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 -4 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, cut into pieces and skinned
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons seedless golden raisins
- 8 pitted and coarsely chopped kalamata olives
- 1Wash and pat dry the chicken.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or wide nonstick pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides. You may have to do this in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain all but 2 tablespoons fat out of the pot.
- 3Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions, peppers and garlic, and cook until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and bay leaves and stir for one minute with a wooden spoon.
- 4Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and place it back in the pot. Add the tomatoes and broth.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- 6While the chicken is cooking, plump the raisins in 1/4 cup warm water, then drain.
- 7Add the raisins and olives to the pot 5 minutes before removing from the heat. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spice Route Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.8
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 142.5 mg
- Sodium 431.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 36.5 g