1/2 Photos of Spice Route Chicken
1 hr 10 mins
From Chef on a Shoestrings menu. This sounds like a winner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 -4 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, cut into pieces and skinned
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons seedless golden raisins
- 8 pitted and coarsely chopped kalamata olives
- 1Wash and pat dry the chicken.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or wide nonstick pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides. You may have to do this in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain all but 2 tablespoons fat out of the pot.
- 3Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions, peppers and garlic, and cook until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and bay leaves and stir for one minute with a wooden spoon.
- 4Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and place it back in the pot. Add the tomatoes and broth.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- 6While the chicken is cooking, plump the raisins in 1/4 cup warm water, then drain.
- 7Add the raisins and olives to the pot 5 minutes before removing from the heat. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spice Route Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.8
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 142.5 mg
- Sodium 431.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 36.5 g