From Chef on a Shoestrings menu. This sounds like a winner.
Make and share this Spice Route Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (4 -4 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, cut into pieces and skinned
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons seedless golden raisins
- 8 pitted and coarsely chopped kalamata olives
- Wash and pat dry the chicken.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or wide nonstick pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides. You may have to do this in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain all but 2 tablespoons fat out of the pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions, peppers and garlic, and cook until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and bay leaves and stir for one minute with a wooden spoon.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and place it back in the pot. Add the tomatoes and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, plump the raisins in 1/4 cup warm water, then drain.
- Add the raisins and olives to the pot 5 minutes before removing from the heat. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and serve.
This had an unusual but delicious combination of flavors. I never would have thought raisins and olives would be good together! Served over orzo, it made a pretty plate and tasted wonderful! I kept a meat thermometer in one of the chicken breasts, and removed them from the pan when they got to 160, about 30 minutes in my case. Also there is too much liquid in the recipe. I cut the broth down to 1 cup, but still had too much. It could go to 1/2 c. or be eliminated.
Made for Photo Tag Winter 07 SO SO SO delicious! I loved the spice mix and the olives...MMMMmmm :P Very easy one-pot dinner.