From Chef on a Shoestrings menu. This sounds like a winner.
Make and share this Spice Route Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (4 -4 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, cut into pieces and skinned
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons seedless golden raisins
- 8 pitted and coarsely chopped kalamata olives
- Wash and pat dry the chicken.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or wide nonstick pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides. You may have to do this in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain all but 2 tablespoons fat out of the pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions, peppers and garlic, and cook until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and bay leaves and stir for one minute with a wooden spoon.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and place it back in the pot. Add the tomatoes and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, plump the raisins in 1/4 cup warm water, then drain.
- Add the raisins and olives to the pot 5 minutes before removing from the heat. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and serve.