Middle Eastern style spread for Pita bread. This recipe is very tasty and easy to make. This is a very popular dish in this region. The base is usually Chickpeas and Tahini, but the flavor added to the base vary widely from one chef to the next. Tahini is a sesame paste, you can usually find it in the Mediterranean section of your grocery store.
- In an electric blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas, red peppers, Feta, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- Process, using long pulses, until the mixture is fairly smooth, and slightly fluffy.
- Make sure to scrape the mixture off the sides of the food processor or blender in between pulses.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- (The hummus can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before serving.) Sprinkle the hummus with the chopped parsley before serving.