This is a "throw it in the oven & blend it all together" recipe which is always a great hit any time of the year. I have called it a Tapenade; a Tapenade contains olives, anchovies & capers normally, with a few regional variations, but this reminded me of the consistency of a Tapenade, so that's what it's called! (There are NO anchovies in this one!) I use this for dips, spreads, sauces, grilled sandwiches plus grilled meat & vegetables. It is very versatile & stores for up to 2 weeks in the fridge - with a coating of olive oil on top. This recipe makes enough to fill a 1lb jar; it is very easy to increase the quantities. Please note, there is no need to salt the aubergines OR take the skin off after they have cooked.
- 1 large aubergine, chopped into 2-inch dice
- 1 large red pepper, de-seeded with the white membrane cut out & chopped into 2-inch dice
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt & pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander (Cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon harissa (optional)
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained (reserve 1 tablespoon of the sun-dried oil or olive oil)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or 400°F.
- Take a sturdy oven proof tin or dish and add the aubergines, red peppers, garlic cloves, tomatoes, cumin, coriander, chili powder and the olive oil.
- Mix thoroughly, so everything has a light coating of oil.
- Roast in the oven on the top shelf for 30 to 45 minutes, or until charred and tinged brown on the edges and soft to the touch.
- Take out and leave to cool slightly.
- Add the fresh coriander (cilantro), harissa paste if using and sun-dried tomatoes. Season well with salt & pepper.
- Tip all the mixture into a large bowl and blend it all together with a hand mixer/blender.
- Do NOT over mix - it should be smooth but not pureed!
- Serve in an attractive bowl and dribble the remaining olive oil over the top, garnish with some fresh coriander (cilantro) or chopped flat leaf parsley. You can also add an olive or two.
- Store in a container in the fridge with olive oil on the top for up to 2 weeks.