Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Balsamic vinegar may be substituted with fresh lemon juice. This is probably the BEST soup I have ever made. It is sooooooooo good, you HAVE to try this!
- 2 lbs firm ripe tomatoes
- 2 lbs red bell peppers
- 6 -8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 head garlic
- 2 -4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- basil, chiffonade (to garnish)
- finely chopped scallion (to garnish)
- Wash and dry tomato and peppers. Cut in half lengthwise and core.
- Meanwhile wrap the garlic in foil and roast in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or until soft .
- Toss the tomato and pepper with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and grill on high heat 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove garlic from oven and squeeze roasted garlic out of each individual clove.
- Place roasted vegetables and garlic in a food processor and pulse until thick paste consistency.
- Place the mixture in a large pot and dilute with chicken broth over medium heat.
- Reduce a bit until desired consistency. Add olive oil and adjust flavor with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Combine yogurt, lemon zest and hot sauce in a small mixing bowl.
- Divide soup into four separate soup bowls. Add a dollop of yogurt in the center of the soup and garnish basil and chopped scallion.