This is a CookingLight recipe. An easy dish that wraps refrigerated pizza crust dough around a savory filling and then baked to a golden brown. The filling is similar to that of the Greek classic spanakopita. I have reduced the amount of raisins as realbirdlady suggested.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (6 ounce) packages Baby Spinach, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1 (13 7/8 ounce) can pizza dough, that is in the refrigerator case
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon 2% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated fresh
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Add half of spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts.
- Add remaining spinach; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until spinach wilts.
- Remove from heat; stir in feta and next 6 ingredients (through pepper).
- Place dough on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; pat dough into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Spread spinach mixture lengthwise over half of dough, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Fold other half of dough over filling; press edges together with a fork.
- Cut 5 (1-inch) diagonal slits in top of dough.
- Combine milk and water; brush evenly over dough.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until golden.
We enjoyed this for dinner tonight. I used a homemade pizza crust instead of the storebought. We like the spinach/feta combo, but were not sure we liked the sweetness of the raisins or the spice of the red pepper mixed in. They seemed to compete with the great Greek flavors in the oregano, lemon, spinach, feta & nuts.
This is very good! I loved the addition of pine nuts and raisins! I used regular raisins instead of golden, but otherwise made it as directed. It was very fast and easy, a great weeknight meal. Thanks!