Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This easy and delirious dairy recipe is from "Gourmet Magazine" (April 2008). It's similar to a spanakopita. It's great served warm as a main dish, or cold, in small slices, as an appetizer. Cooks' note: Pie can be assembled (but not baked) 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped dill, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) container cottage cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 6 ounces feta, crumbled (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 matzos (about 6 inches square)
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Cook onion in oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put spinach in a sieve and press out as much liquid as possible. Add spinach to onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup dill, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Purée cottage cheese in a blender with milk, eggs, nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper until smooth. Reserve 2 cups in a bowl and stir remainder into spinach with 1 cup feta.
- Stack matzos in a deep dish and pour reserved cottage-cheese mixture over them. Let stand 15 minutes to soften.
- Arrange 2 soaked matzos side by side in a generously oiled 13- by 9- by 2-inch (3-quart shallow) baking dish. Pour in half of spinach filling. Cover with 2 more matzos, then pour in remaining filling. Put remaining 2 matzos on top and pour any remaining cottage-cheese mixture over them. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup feta.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden and set, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, then serve sprinkled with remaining 2 tablespoons dill.