Rich and scrumptious, this is a great brunch dish as well as any other meal! Fairly simple to make. I prefer chopped FRESH spinach but I am posting this recipe as it was given to me. Also, I add feta or Montrachet cheese sometimes if I have it on hand.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick pie shell (9" pie pan) and prebake in hot oven for 5-8 minutes until lightly browned. Turn oven down to 350 degrees when pie crust is done.
- Cook spinach until thawed and warm. Drain very well, squeezing excess moisture out with hands. (Do not precook spinach if using fresh).
- Saute onion in butter and stir in spinach, salt, nutmeg and black pepper.
- In separate bowl, combine Ricotta cheese, cream Parmesan cheese and eggs and blend well.
- Add spinach mixture and stir well.
- Pour into prebaked pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until custard is set.
- Garnish with finely chopped parsley and sliced cherry tomatoes if desired.
- May be served hot or room temperature.