Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
For the Bechamel
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 lb lasagna noodle
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed,steamed,drained and squeezed dry
- 2 large red onions, peeled and finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup of chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 lb feta, crumbled
- 1 1⁄4 lbs of greek anthotiro or 1 1⁄4 lbs ricotta cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup of grated kefalotiri or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 5 -7 tablespoons olive oil
- Make the bechamel: Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, and as soon as it begins to sizzle, add the flour and stir for 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking all the while, until smooth and thick, about 5-7 minutes.
- Cover the bechamel with a kitchen towel and set aside until ready to use.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil and cook lasagna noodles until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Remove, drain, and place in a large bowl of cold water until ready to use.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet.
- Add the onion and celery cover the skillet, and cook over low heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Combine the spinach, onions and celery, dill, feta and anthotiro in a large bowl.
- Mix in the eggs, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and toss with 2 to 4 more tablespoons of olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 350d.
- Lightly oil a large shallow baking dish (approximately 10 x 14 inches).
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of bechamel on the bottom.
- Remove the lasagna noodles from the water one at a time and blot dry with a paper towel.
- Arrange one-third of the noodles in a single layer over the bechamel.
- Spread half the filling over the lasagna.
- Repeat with remaining lasagna and filling, ending up with a final layer of noodles.
- Spread the bechamel evenly over the noodles, and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until top is golden brown.
- Remove, cool slightly and serve.
I served this up at a dinner party, everyone loved it and went back for seconds. I used fresh spinach in this (steamed, blanched and then squeezed dry) and I also changed the herbs from dill & mint to Oregano & Lemon Thyme (because that what I had).