Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from a book years ago but have changed it so much I consider it mine. I am always asked to bring this dish to family functions. If you love spinach and cheese you will love this recipe.
- 1 (8 ounce) package phyllo dough, thawed (usually come two to box, use only one package)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 8 ounces feta cheese (or more if you like)
- 24 ounces small curd cottage cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill (dry or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter bottom and sides of 9x13x2 inch baking dish or spray with Pam.
- Squeeze the liquid out of the spinach and place in a large bowl.
- Add all other ingredients, except the phyllo dough and the butter, and mix well.
- Brush about 4-5 sheets of the phyllo dough with melted butter and place in bottom of pan, do this until you have used approximately 3/4 of the phyllo.
- Pour the spinach mix into the pan on top of the bottom layer of dough smooth out the spinach mixture with back of spoon.
- Brush 4-5 sheets of the phyllo dough with melted butter and place on top of the spinach mixture. Do this until you have used all the phyllo.
- With a serated knife score the top layer of the dough into squares.
- Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
- After baking for 1 hour remove from oven let rest 10 minutes and then cut the spinach pie all the way through. Let rest about 5-6 more minutes and serve.