Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Not authentically Greek, but the flavor is wonderful. Nice filling with flaky phyllo pastry.
Make and share this Spinach Pie (Spanokopita) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs cottage cheese
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 1 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1 (1 lb) package phyllo pastry
- 1⁄3 lb butter, melted
- Combine cottage cheese, drained spinach, feta, onion, garlic and eggs in a large bowl.
- In a well buttered pan, place one sheet of phyllo.
- Carefully brush melted butter on another sheet of phyllo and lay on top of first sheet.
- Repeat with layers of phyllo until half of package is used.
- Carefully spread filling over pastry.
- Repeat phyllo and butter with remaining pastry and butter.
- Butter top of pie well.
- Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 45-60 minutes or until browned.
- Cut into squares with a very sharp knife.