1/1 Photo of Spinach Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms
Artichoke bottoms are stuffed with sautéed spinach in butter and topped with a creamy gratin sauce. Courtesy of Chef Jacques Pépin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare artichokes or buy canned bottoms. To prepare remove stem and then break the leaves of the base. Artichoke should have a conical shape when done. Cut off the core of the artichoke above the base. Base should be trimmed with vegetable peeler until all of the fibrous material is removed. Place the core and bottom in lemon water. The choke will be removed after cooking.
- 2Arrange artichoke pieces in one layer in saucepan with little oil, water, lemon juice and a dash of salt. Cook for 20-25 minutes covered. Once tender remove bottoms with spoon and pour cooking liquid over the bottoms.
- 3Spinach Sauté:.
- 4Cook in skillet with dash of salt 3-4 minutes until wilted. Drain. Using a spoon, press spinach to extract water. Chop the spinach and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat butter in skillet until dark brown then add spinach. Sauté just until heated. Reheat the artichoke bottoms in their liquid and drain. Arrange them in a gratin dish and spoon spinach into each one. Press the Swiss cheese on top of spinach.
- 5Gratin Sauce:.
- 6Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and add flour. Mix with whisk and cook on medium heat for 10 seconds. Add the milk all at once and mix with whisk. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until sauce boils. Reduce heat and boil for 30 seconds. Add cream and remove from heat.
- 7Preheat the broiler. Coat the artichokes with sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Heat under broiler for 3-4 minutes or until browned.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.0
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.6 mg
- Sodium 463.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 11.0 g