This is my mother's and her mothers recipe for spanakopita. It can be layered into a pan or folded into triangles. It takes 40 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to cook. You can use either fresh or frozen spinach.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Defrost Phyllo as directed on box.
- 2Defrost frozen spinach or de-stem fresh spinach (no need to cook).
- 3Beat eggs until smooth.
- 4Crumble Feta into 1/4 inch crumbs.
- 5Mix Spinach, Feta and eggs in a bowl.
- 6Heat butter until melted.
- 7Layout out Phyllo and keep moist by laying a slightly damp cloth over stack of phyllo while it is waiting for its turn.
- 8Separate one sheet of Phyllo,.
- 9Carefully brush melted butter over Phyllo. Try not to rip phyllo,.
- 10Using a sharp knife cut Phyllo sheet into 2 inch lengthwise strips. (It is around 5 lengths per sheet. The short side of the sheet is in front of you.
- 11With a spoon place 1 rounded tablespoon of spinach mixture on a strip of phyllo at the end closest to you. (it helps to press the spinach mixture against the spoon so it is a lump).
- 12Fold the strip of Phyllo just like a flag:.
- 13fold lower right corner up and left to is lines up flush with the left edge of the phyllo.
- 14Flip the triangle up so the point lines up with the left edge.
- 15Continue folding triangles up the strip of phyllo until you reach the top.
- 16Steps 5-6 from this wiki shows you how http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Paper-Football.
- 17Place finished triangles on a greased baking sheet.
- 18Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes in oven.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Triangles, Greek, Spanakopita
Serving Size: 1 (1920 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 85.0
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.4 mg
- Sodium 224.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 3.1 g