Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my mother's and her mothers recipe for spanakopita. It can be layered into a pan or folded into triangles. It takes 40 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to cook. You can use either fresh or frozen spinach.
- Defrost Phyllo as directed on box.
- Defrost frozen spinach or de-stem fresh spinach (no need to cook).
- Beat eggs until smooth.
- Crumble Feta into 1/4 inch crumbs.
- Mix Spinach, Feta and eggs in a bowl.
- Heat butter until melted.
- Layout out Phyllo and keep moist by laying a slightly damp cloth over stack of phyllo while it is waiting for its turn.
- Separate one sheet of Phyllo,.
- Carefully brush melted butter over Phyllo. Try not to rip phyllo,.
- Using a sharp knife cut Phyllo sheet into 2 inch lengthwise strips. (It is around 5 lengths per sheet. The short side of the sheet is in front of you.
- With a spoon place 1 rounded tablespoon of spinach mixture on a strip of phyllo at the end closest to you. (it helps to press the spinach mixture against the spoon so it is a lump).
- Fold the strip of Phyllo just like a flag:.
- fold lower right corner up and left to is lines up flush with the left edge of the phyllo.
- Flip the triangle up so the point lines up with the left edge.
- Continue folding triangles up the strip of phyllo until you reach the top.
- Steps 5-6 from this wiki shows you how http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Paper-Football.
- Place finished triangles on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes in oven.