Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is inspired by a family favorite Greek restaurant in Greenville, SC, "Never on Sunday." The older couple who own the restaurant prepare some of the best, most-authentic Greek recipes I've ever had. I've enjoyed this particular dish since I was a child. Although my version probably isn't as good as Iris' recipe, it tides me over when I can't make a visit the restaurant. This works better on top of the range as opposed to the crock pot.
- 3 lbs lean beef, cut into chunks
- 2 lbs white onions, quartered and sliced in half
- 1 3⁄4 lbs large potatoes, sliced into 3/4 inch rounds and quartered
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 ounces red wine vinegar
- 10 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon salt
- water (enough to cover contents of pot plus 1 1/2 inches)
- In a stew pot, lightly brown the meat in olive oil.
- Add remaining ingredients and enough water to cover plus 1 1/2 inches. Stir ingredients together.
- Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to low until gently simmering. Cover and simmer for 3-4 hours without stirring, until only a sauce remains.