2 hrs 45 mins
This is a Frugal Gourmet recipe. I know it's not authentic that way, but I always use ground beef. Note 1 hour resting time. (I'll be honest--I cheat and don't always let them rest for an hour. They smell too good and I can never wait.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces grape leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup long grain rice, raw
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lb ground lean lamb
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- fresh ground black pepper
Egg Lemon Sauce
- 1Mix all the ingredients for the filling.
- 2Pick out the smallest leaves in the jar and set aside. Use some of these leaves to place a single layer on the bottom of a 2-quart dutch oven.
- 3Cut the stems off the grape leaves.
- 4Place a leaf on the counter, bottom side up, stem end toward you.
- 5Place 1 teaspoon of the filling in the center of the leaf. Fold the stem end over the filling, then fold the sides over to secure the filling, then roll from you toward the tip of the leaf.
- 6Do not wrap too tightly as the rice will expand as it cooks.
- 7Place the rolled leaves on top of the single layer in the bottom of the pot.
- 8Cover them with a layer of unrolled leaves, then add another layer of rolled leaves. Continue layering stuffed leaves and then top with the remaining unrolled leaves.
- 9Place a medium plate over the top of the leaves as a weight.
- 10Mix the chicken stock and lemon juice for the broth and pour over the leaves in the pot.
- 11Cover and bring to a light simmer. Cook 1 hour.
- 12Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool for 1 more hour. Do not remove the lid or the leaves will darken.
- 13Serve warm with Egg-Lemon Sauce on top.
- 14Egg Lemon Sauce.
- 15Heat chicken stock in a saucepan.
- 16In a separate pan, melt butter and mix in flour.
- 17Add butter/flour mixture to stock to thicken.
- 18Whip eggs, lemon juice and water together in a bowl until frothy.
- 19Add egg mixture to thickened stock, stirring constantly.
- 20Warm the mixture, but do not boil, continuing to stir until thick.
- 21Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Grape Leaves With Egg Lemon Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 827.2
- Calories from Fat 418
- Total Fat 46.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 195.4 mg
- Sodium 3897.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 40.4 g