1/2 Photos of Stuffed Grape Leaves (With Meat)
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is from the old McCalls Cooking School collection. I haven't tried the egg and lemon sauce, but the grape leaves themselves are absolutely delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Stuffed Grape Leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground lamb or 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup raw rice
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) jar grape leaves, drained
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1In 1/3 cup hot oil in 12-inch skillet, saute onion and green onion, stirring until golden - 5 minutes. Add lamb; cook, stirring until lamb is no longer pink - 10 minutes. Add rice, nuts, dill salt, pepper and 3/4 cup water. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes, until water is absorbed.
- 2Remove from heat. Turn into bowl to cool 30 minutes before stuffing grape leaves. Meanwhile, separate grape leaves. Rinse well in cold water to wash away any brine. Dry well on paper towels. Use imperfect leaves for layering evenly in the bottom of the skillet.
- 3Lay leaves, shiny side down, on flat surface.Put 1 tablespoon lamb mixture in center of each leaf; fold sides over filling; roll up, starting from narrow end. Do not roll too tightly; rice needs room to expand. Fill skillet with closely fitted layers of stuffed leaves.
- 4Pour lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 cup cold water over them. Put heavy plat, upside down, on top to prevent leaves from unrolling. Bring to boiling; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed - 30 minutes. Cool in skillet, if serving cold as an appetizer.
- 5With slotted utensil, lift out of liquid onto serving plate.
- 6If serving warm with egg-and-lemon sauce: In small saucepan over direct heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Remove from heat; stir in 3 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix until smooth.
- 7Stir in 1 can chicken broth and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Cook over low heat, stirring, until boiling. In small bowl, beat 4 egg yolks slightly; beat in small amount of hot mixture. Slowly return to pan, stirring until thick. Remove from heat. Makes 2 cups.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Grape Leaves (With Meat)
Serving Size: 1 (1794 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 72.2
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 23.4 mg
- Sodium 377.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 2.5 g