1/3 Photos of Styrian "gigantes" (Scarlet Runner Bean Casserole)
This is a styrian version (Styria, Province of Austria) of a hearty, simple and vegan Greek Bean dish, that tastes heavenly and uses "Käferbohnen" (Scarlet runner beans) instead of white giant beans. If you can't get hold of Scarlet Runner Beans use giant beans instead. The original recipe calls for about 200ml olive oil, i cut that lavish amount in half, and still find it's enough oil left :). Prep.time comes without beansoaking time!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If using dried beans, soak them overnight and cook according to package instructions (usually for 90min.).
- 2Cut onion in about 0,5cm pieces, mince garlic, peel and seed tomatoes (put in boiling water for about 30sec.) and chop into bite size pieces.
- 3Heat olive oil and add onion and garlic. Let fry until translucent.
- 4Add beans and tomatoes. Stir.
- 5Salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Transfer to baking dish and let bake for about 20-25 minute at 175°C (until the beans go lightly crispy).
- 7Enjoy with white bread, such as baguette, ciabatta or pita. The oil onion mixture tastes heavenly when dipped into.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Styrian "gigantes" (Scarlet Runner Bean Casserole)
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.6
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 2.9 g