Sue Lau's Note:
I took a look at Alton Brown's recipe, and while I liked some aspects of it, other aspects I did not. So those familiar with his recipe will know where he began and I ended. I hope you enjoy, because mine is better. ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- heavy duty aluminum foil
- 5 -6 extra large whole wheat pita bread (10-12 ounces)
- 3 -4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 -2 tomato, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup tzatziki, sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Place ground meats in colander in sink and allow blood to drain away, 30-45 minutes.
- 3Thoroughly mix together meats, with seasonings.
- 4On a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. plop down the meat, and shape it into a meat roll with your hands.
- 5Roll up the meat roll in the foil, and twist up the ends like a piece of hard candy wrapper. With an ice pick or small knife jab holes all over the roll, on all sides.
- 6Place wrapped meat roll on a drain rack in an oven pan and bake for about 75-80 minutes or until your internal meat is about 175F,.
- 7Allow meat to cool and then refrigerate roll overnight.
- 8When you want to serve, slice off pieces of meat and heat them in a skillet, browning them if you like.
- 9Serve on skillet warmed, large, whole wheat pita (I get the thinner oversized type from a Mediterranean market), with tzatziki sauce, sliced onion, diced tomato, and crumbled feta cheese.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sue's Big Fat Greek Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 653.0
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 141.2 mg
- Sodium 1124.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 42.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: