Feast Your Eyes!'s Note:
Looking for something that you can pull together for lunch or dinner in a jiffy? This easy, greek-inspired gyros recipe may be the way to go. To serve: heat and split the pitas; serve the lamb, seasoned tomatoes and feta, cucumber-mint yogurt, onion, and lettuce in separate dishes. Have your family and friends stuff the warm bread pockets to their liking. ENJOY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt (preferably Greek)
- 4 -5 fresh mint leaves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 pinch kosher salt
Seasoned Tomatoes and Feta
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- red wine vinegar and olive oil (to season tomatoes and feta)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, rub between fingers to waken flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme, rub between fingers to waken flavor
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 pita bread rounds, halved and warm (6-inch)
- 1 cup white onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 1/2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1Mix yogurt, mint, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Stir in the cucumber. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 2Season the diced tomato, feta cheese, and parsley with the red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper; set aside.
- 3In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. Add the ground lamb, oregano, thyme, garlic and onion powders, and black pepper; cook until browned - stirring to crumble. Drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- 4Transfer lamb to to a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice and stir well.
- 5Warm the pita bread rounds; split open each pita half forming a pocket.
- 6Have everyone spoon even amounts of the lamb mixture into their pita pocket, and top with onions, lettuce, tomatoes and feta, and cucumber-mint yogurt.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Simple Gyros With Cucumber-Mint Yogurt
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.8
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 105.8 mg
- Sodium 540.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 27.2 g