Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe on the Kraft Canada Website. I tried it for our family get together at Easter and it was a hit. Since the cream cheese is only sweetened with a bit of honey, it balances out nicely with the baklava which is very sweet on its own. This is one I'll definitely be making again.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Mix walnuts, sugar and spices; set aside. (To finely chop the nuts, place them along with the sugar in a food processor container and cover. Process until the nuts are finely chopped.).
- Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup of the honey and the vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time beating well after each addition.
- Place layers of the phyllo sheets in a 13x9 inch baking pan, brushing each layer with the melted butter and sprinkling a rounded tablespoon full of the walnut mixture over every other layer of phyllo. After all the layers are done, spread the top with the cream cheese mixture. (NOTE - to keep the phyllo from drying out, keep them covered with a sheet of plastic wrap or parchment and a damp towel until ready to use.).
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until the cream cheese mixture is set.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of honey and drizzle over the baklava.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Storage know how - Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator up to 2 days. For best flavour, remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.