1 hr 30 mins
A modified version of a burger from the 'build a better burger challenge', but a little more exotic and twice as good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon beef broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 1/2 ounces spreadable goat cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mixed herbs
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 6 soft sesame kaiser rolls
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup zinfandel
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon minced oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lime (zested)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 silced avocados (prepare at last minute)
- 2 bell peppers (roasted and sliced)
- romaine lettuce leaf
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- vegetable oil, for grilling
- 1In a grill with a cover, prepare a medium-hot fire for direct-heat cooking.
- 2For caramelized onions, combine onion, pepper sauce, broth, vinegar, oil, garlic, and brown sugar in a 10-inch nonstick skillet with a lid. When coals are ready, place covered pan on grill rack. Cook onion mixture for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized and most of liquid is evaporated. Remove pan from grill and set aside.
- 3For spread, combine sour cream, goat cheese, and mixed herbs, mix and set aside.
- 4For burgers, place ground beef in a large bowl. Add onion, Zinfandel, herbs, pepper sauce, salt, pepper, and chili powder; mix gently. Shape beef mixture into 6 thin patties, adding a slice of butter in the middle to retain moisture.
- 5Brush grill rack with vegetable oil. Place patties on grill rack, cover, and cook about 4 minutes. Turn and continue cooking until cooked to desired doneness.
- 6Meanwhile, place saucepan with cheese spread on outer edge of grill rack to warm cheese mixture just until it reaches a very soft, spreading consistency. Remove saucepan from grill and set aside.
- 7During final minutes of grilling patties, arrange avocado slices on a rimmed nonstick perforated grilling pan coated lightly with balsamic vinegar, lime juice, and lime zest mixture, and grill alongside patties for 1 to 2 minutes, turning as necessary. When avocados are nicely grilled remove from grill. When patties are cooked, remove from grill, stacking to keep warm. Place rolls, cut side down, on outer edges of grill to toast lightly.
- 8Assemble burgers by placing a patty on a bun, followed by spread, then 3 avocado slices and 4 roasted red pepper slices. top with romaine lettuce and caramelized onions.
- 9Put the bun on top and enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tex Mex/Med Supreme Burger
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.9
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 109.9 mg
- Sodium 736.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 37.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: