This is the most delicious salad - fresh and wonderful-tasting. FYI, lettuce can very much be a part of any greek salad - if you want it to. We like lettuce in my family and I often add it. It would not be 'authentic' in a Horiatiki (village) salad, but who cares?
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (Mediterranean is best)
- 1 head lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces ((I use Romaine)
- 3 large plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped (the long, thin, almost seedless ones)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin rings and soaked for 10 minutes in a small bowl of ice water to make it less sharp
- 1 small green pepper, cut into thin rings
- 3⁄4 cup kalamata olive
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Whisk dressing ingredients together until blended.
- Season to taste.
- Drain onion from ice water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine all salad ingredients, except cheese, in large bowl.
- Toss with dressing.
- Sprinkle cheese over and serve.