1/1 Photo of Thea's Baklava
4 hrs 30 mins
Tia Mouse's Note:
DOES NOT INCLUDE 4-10 HOURS OF REST TIME! This is a recipe that can't go wrong. BTW if you haven't used filo before, just follow the box instructions. Don't be intimidated (MOM!:-D) by it. It's easy to use. I've made this a bunch of times and it never comes out wrong. The longer you can let it sit before serving the better. (DH thinks it's better the next morning!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb phyllo pastry
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1Preheat oven to 325.
- 2Butter base and sides of 13x9x2 pan (seperate quantity of butter).
- 3Melt butter and allow to rest to thickened (If you don't you'll need almost DOUBLE the amount!).
- 4Mix nuts, sugar and spices together.
- 5Place 9 sheets of filo brushing each with butter before the next is added. (Use pastry brush).
- 6Spread 1/2 the nut mixture over top sheet of filo.
- 7Add 2 more sheets (one at a time), buttering between.
- 8Spread remaining nuts over the top.
- 9Top with all remaining sheets of filo, buttering between each one.
- 10Trim edges (around sides of dish) with a VERY sharp knife.
- 11Butter the top layer.
- 12Score through the first few layers of filo (into diamond shaped pieces) to facilitate cutting later.
- 13Sprinkle lightly with water over the top to avoid curling of top layer(s).
- 14Bake for 30 minutes (middle rack), covering with foil if the top browns too much.
- 15After 30 minutes, remove from oven.
- 16Spoon strained syrup over HOT baklava.
- 17Allow to sit for several hours to all day before serving (the longer, the better).
- 18While baklava is baking, prepare syrup.
- 19Place ingredients in saucepan and stir constantly until sugar dissolves completely.
- 20Boil for 10 minutes.
- 21Strain and allow syrup to cool before using.
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thea's Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.9
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 24.4 mg
- Sodium 179.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 30.9 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: