Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
A spicy spread to be enjoyed as a meze or dip with pita crisps.
Make and share this Tirokafteri (Spicy Cheese Spread) recipe from Food.com.
- 10 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons Greek yogurt or 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- Beat all the ingredients with a mixer until combined and fluffy (adjust heat to personal preference by adding more tabasco).
- Keeps up to 1 week in refrigerator.
I made the recipe first exactly as shown, but found the feta a little overpowering. I then added fresh white cheese (myzithra in Greece, but could be any unsalted fresh cheese such as ricotta or even cottage cheese). My family loved it on pita bread and it vanished in no time!
Excellent, made it as written and served it with pita crisps. 2 days later I added dried oregano and fresh chopped parsley to what was left and we enjoyed it again!!
Perfection! If I closed my eyes I could be back in my favourite taverna on Tinos. The full-on savoury flavour, the slight dry taste in the mouth, the heat kick that follows.