Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
a rich dish, brilliant for lunch, served hot, or cold
Make and share this Tiropita (Greek Cheese Pie) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 dash salt
- 2 chopped green shallots (can replace with 1/3 white onion)
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk or 1⁄2 cup better still half-and-half cream
- 3 eggs
- mix ingredients; knead for about 2-3 minutes; adding flour to until it doesn't stick to the hands- separate into 3 equal parts.
- beat eggs.
- mix all other ingredients; heat in pot until cheese starts melting.
- allow to cool to room temperature; then mix in eggs.
- roll out the 3 dough balls- so that each one is a bit bigger than your baking pan (i use 8x12 in.)- the amount of dough, for that size will give you the right thickness.
- place the first layer on the greased pan, with ends hanging over the pan rim- add half the filling, follow on with the second dough layer-add the rest of the filling,finish off with the last dough layer; fold the dough layers together pluck a few holes with a knife, making sure you go through the second layer of dough.
- bake for 3/4 hour at around 400 degrees F.