1/2 Photos of Tiropita (Greek Savoury Cheese Pie)
1 hr 20 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Thaw phyllo dough completely.
- 2Melt the 6 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan.
- 3Whisk in the flour and cook slightly (1-2 minutes) to get rid of 'raw' flour taste.
- 4Slowly whisk in the milk.
- 5Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until sauce thickens.
- 6Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- 7Quickly whisk the eggs into the sauce one at a time.
- 8Then stir in the cheese.
- 9Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 10Butter a 13 X 9" Pyrex baking dish generously (you can also use a larger baking pan - the tiropita just comes out a little thinner, but is nicer for appetizer servings).
- 11Flatten phyllo dough and cover with a sheet of wax paper and a lightly dampened towel (to avoid drying out).
- 12Take one sheet at a time and place in baking dish.
- 13Brush phyllo generously with butter.
- 14Use about 6 sheets this way and then add 1/2 of cheese filling.
- 15Layer 3 more sheets of phyllo (brushing each one with butter) and then top with remaining cheese filling.
- 16Finally, layer 6 sheets of phyllo over top (brushing each one with butter) and fold in the edges to make the tiropita look neat.
- 17Brush top generously with remaining butter.
- 18Score top of phyllo carefully with the point of a sharp knife, just cutting through pastry (only cut through the top layers of pastry, do not cut all the way down to the bottom layer), into the size of pieces you will want to serve.
- 19Make sure you don't cut right through pie.
- 20Bake for about 45 minutes to one hour, or until golden brown.
- 21(Make sure bottom crust is nice and golden- if it isn't- put it directly on floor of oven for about 10 minutes to brown faster. You don't want a soggy, uncooked bottom pastry).
- 22Variation: I often add 8 oz. of a good-quality, chopped, smoked ham to the cheese filling.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tiropita (Greek Savoury Cheese Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.1
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.8 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 203.4 mg
- Sodium 887.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 18.6 g