Small cheese pies to be served as a snack or hors d'ouevre.
Make and share this Tiropitakia (Miniature Greek Cheese Pies) recipe from Food.com.
For the Pastry
- 1⁄2 lb phyllo pastry, refrigerated
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 egg yolk
For the Filling
- 1 cup emmenthaler cheese (Swiss) or 1 cup similar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup feta
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese or 4 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Remove the filo pastry from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature about 1 hour.
- Make the filling by mashing the feta until it crumbles.
- Add to this the eggs, Emmenthal cheese, ricotta, parsley, mint and pepper and blend well.
- Cut each filo leaf into a strip 6 x 12" (15 x 30 cm).
- Brush each leaf with the melted butter.
- Fold the leaves in half lengthwise making strips 3 x l1" (6 x 30 cm).
- Again brush with butter and place 1 Tbsp.
- of the filling at the bottom of each leaf.
- Fold over to form a triangle (like you were folding a flag) and continue folding until the strip is completed.
- Repeat with each of the strips and place the completed triangles on a well greased cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush the tops of each triangle with butter and then with a mixture of the egg yolk and 2 Tbsp of water.
- Sprinkle over with the sesame seeds and bake in a medium oven until the pastries are golden brown and flaky (about 20- 30 minutes).
- Serve hot or cool.
- Yields 16- 24 pastries.