Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
This Greek cheese pie is best served warm. The amount of butter used is approximate--use enough to coat top of each sheet of phyllo. Unlike baklava or some other dishes made with phyllo, it is not sweet so I serve it as a side dish during the main course, rather than as a dessert. Very rich, so for most people it takes a relatively small portion to make one serving.
- Brush an 8-inch square or 11 X 7-inch baking pan with melted butter.
- Lay 10 sheets of phyllo on bottom of pan, brushing each with melted butter as it is placed in the pan.
- Beat the eggs until thick and foamy.
- Add the cheese and beat well.
- Add 2 Tbs melted butter and milk.
- Add salt, if needed and beat again.
- Top with layers in order: half the egg-cheese mixture, 10 more sheets of phyllo, brushed with butter, the rest of egg-cheese mixture, and the last 10 sheets phyllo with butter.
- Trim any excess pastry from around the edge.
- Bake at 350°F for 1¼ hours.
- Cut into about 16 diamond-shaped pieces and serve warm.