1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
echo echo's Note:
This Greek cheese pie is best served warm. The amount of butter used is approximate--use enough to coat top of each sheet of phyllo. Unlike baklava or some other dishes made with phyllo, it is not sweet so I serve it as a side dish during the main course, rather than as a dessert. Very rich, so for most people it takes a relatively small portion to make one serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Brush an 8-inch square or 11 X 7-inch baking pan with melted butter.
- 2Lay 10 sheets of phyllo on bottom of pan, brushing each with melted butter as it is placed in the pan.
- 3Beat the eggs until thick and foamy.
- 4Add the cheese and beat well.
- 5Add 2 Tbs melted butter and milk.
- 6Add salt, if needed and beat again.
- 7Top with layers in order: half the egg-cheese mixture, 10 more sheets of phyllo, brushed with butter, the rest of egg-cheese mixture, and the last 10 sheets phyllo with butter.
- 8Trim any excess pastry from around the edge.
- 9Bake at 350°F for 1¼ hours.
- 10Cut into about 16 diamond-shaped pieces and serve warm.
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tiropitta
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 782.9
- Calories from Fat 450
- Total Fat 50.0 g
- Saturated Fat 29.1 g
- Cholesterol 268.6 mg
- Sodium 1560.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 27.8 g