From Cooking Light, August 2009. It took me this long to get around to trying it.....too busy cooking Zaar recipes! Cook time includes cooking time and standing time!
- 12 inches pita bread, split in half horizontally
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups English cucumbers, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup marjoram, chopped (may use oregano for a stronger taste)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pitas on a biking sheet; bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely. Break into small pieces.
- Combine tomato and next 4 ingredients (through parsley) in a large bowl.
- Combine lime juice and remaining ingredients in a small bowl and stir with a whisk. Pour juice mixture over tomato mixture; toss gently.
- Add pita pieces to bowl; toss gently.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is a nice refreshing salad. I used less cumin because it's not my favorite spice. But other than that followed the recipe as written. It's good with the toasted pita. Thanks breezermom :) Made for Photo tag game
This is a terrific and flavorful salad! I don't care for raw onion so left it out. Just loved the dressing on this, a perfect pairing with the veggies and herbs. I overcooked my pitas a bit (make sure to watch them) but it was still great. Loved this - thanks for sharing the recipe!
Excellent recipe. I did make some substitutions to use what I had on hand. I replaced the cucumber with fresh zucchini and used 1/2 of the cumin and subed oregano for the marjoram. Also increased the honey to suit our taste. Just a beautiful combination of flavors. One that will be made again this summer. Thanks for sharing.