1/2 Photos of Tomato Cilantro Soup
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Found this in the paper today and wanted to post it for Zaar World Tour 2006. It sounded absolutely fantastic and I finally tried it myself. Was I right! Homemade tomato soup with 10x the taste! I served with crusty ciabatta bread for dipping. I added vegetable stock instead of regular water because a good stock is always the basis for the best soups. Lighten up on salt (if you use stock) and the cumin if you want. I only added 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and no cayenne. I used 1 large bunch of cilantro. Did not taste overly of cilantro once I took the bunch out. Adapted from "Mediterranean Light" by Martha Rose Shulman. I classified this as either a Greek or Italian recipe:D
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml cumin (or less, to taste)
- 9.85 ml paprika
- 793.78 g can plum tomatoes with juice
- 946.0 ml water or 946.0 ml vegetable stock
- 59.16 ml tomato paste
- 2 bunch fresh cilantro, washed and tied with kitchen twine
- 29.58 ml cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 lime, juice of
- cayenne, to taste
- 118.29 ml low-fat yogurt, preferably Greek style (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, cumin and paprika and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- 3Add tomatoes, water or vegetable stock, tomato paste, cilantro and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a simmer, cover and continue to simmer 30 minutes.
- 4Turn off heat, remove and discard cilantro and blend with immersion blender (or food processer or regular blender) until smooth. Season to taste with salt, pepper, lime juice and cayenne.
- 5Serve hot or cold, with a spoonful of yogurt in each bowl sprinkled with cilantro leaves.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Cilantro Soup
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.5
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 286.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 1.7 g