A typically Greek salad, this has caramelized garlic to spark it up a bit! From Cat Cora's Kitchen cookbook.
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 cup olive oil
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cored, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin slices
- 12 kalamata olives
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar (sometimes I add a splash of balsamic too)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- In a small frying pan, saute the garlic in the 1 tbls. olive oil over medium high heat. Stir often, until the garlic is caramelized and slightly crunchy. Watch carefully! Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Arrange the sliced vegetables on individual plates, or on a platter. Top with the olives and the crumbled feta cheese.
- Whisk the vinegar, 1 cup olive oil and oregano together. Season each salad with salt and pepper, then drizzle with the dressing. Top with the sauteed garlic and serve. Enjoy!
This is truly a lovely salad! Scaled down to serve one it was the perfect side for a lovely greek fish! I changed nothing and the flavors were spot on! Thanks for posting this is a definite keeper! Made for The Queens of Quisine ZWT6 Family Picks!
Sharon, you truly have a winner here!!! I cut the dressing in half, as we don't care for our salads to swim. The red wine vinegar was a perfect choice to blend with the other dressing ingredients. The olive oil I used was cold pressed. Sorry about all the photos but I could not pick just one. Made for *ZWT 6* I'm on Team *Ya Ya Cookerhood*
The 2 things about this Greek style salad that put it over the top are the addition of garlic (yum!) and how pretty its presentation is. I'm going to make this salad the next time I have to throw a salad together for guests - its so easy, but tastes fantastic and looks beautiful! Made for ZWT6 - LOONEY SPOON PHOODIES!