Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A wonderfully intensely flavored pasta salad by Ina Garten in her Barefoot Contessa episode: Perfect Pasta. You will enjoy this! Perfect for picnics or right inside the house. For a gluten free version use rice pasta. Some people have made this a main dish by adding chopped chicken. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 lb fusilli (spirals-whole wheat is great!)
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, medium-diced
- 3⁄4 cup good kalamata olive, pitted, diced (or other good black olives)
- 1 lb good feta cheese, medium-diced (or use mozzarella if you like or try goat cheese)
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or try lemon juice with some of the zest)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup packed flat leaf parsley, chopped (or use basil if you like)
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water with a splash of oil to keep it from sticking together. Boil for 12 minutes, or according to the directions on the package.
- Drain well and allow to cool. Place the pasta in a bowl and add the tomatoes, olives, feta and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- For the dressing:.
- Combine the sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, capers, salt(taste before adding salt) and pepper in a food processor and process until almost smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta, sprinkle with the Parmesan and parsley, and toss well. Enjoy!
- Possible additions to salad:.
- Artichoke hearts.
- A tablespoon of white wine mustard.
- Fresh spinach(can mix with hot pasta to wilt spinach).
Scaled this down for one tonight and it was so enjoyable - there is enough left for lunch tomorrow so may yet get a pic. I topped mine with croutons. Made for Everyday is a Holiday.
Wonderful salad! I made the recipe pretty much as given, but might take your suggestion another time & add some chicken breast & peas! Did make it using the feta cheese & that was great! Thanks for another very nice keeper recipe! [Made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #42]
Very good! Skipped the capers (not a fan of them).