Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another simple, light salad that works equally as an appetizer or a side dish. Welcome the flavors of summer!
- 4 ripe tomatoes, , cored and sliced
- 1 onion, very thinly sliced (I use red)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon
- 12 mediterranean-type full-flavored green olives
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Layer the sliced tomatoes with the onions, sprinkling with sugar, salt and cayenne pepper as you do.
- Grate the lemon zest (or use a lemon zester) and scatter over the tomatoes and onions, then squeeze the juice over the top.
- Garnish with the olives and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Chill until ready to serve.
This is a wonderful Mediterranean-type salad! The only thing that I did differently was to add chopped, fresh cilantro on top before serving. The flavors are all very fresh and it's great for summer! Thanks.
This is a great salad to serve when you don't want to heat the kitchen. It's easy, and fast. The ingredients are healthy and compliment each other. We especially liked the cayenne kick. I added some shredded fresh basil, and thinly sliced purple onion. You could even substitue an avocado for the tomatoes if you wanted to make this refreshing salad in the winter, when good tomatoes are scarce. Definately a keeper. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Lovely simple, tasty side salad Just right served with Creole Halibut & spinacj with mushrooms. I apologize for using black olives but I had a juar open so it was a matter of supply & demand. We enjoyed your salad very much